Recipe : Poached Rhubarb Pie
Either a pre-made pastry shell, pre-made shortcrust pastry, or to make pastry yourself, I like this recipe at the moment
About 6-8 decent sized sticks of rhubarb (like the thickness of almost a broom handle, not like a pencil)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup-ish of flaked almonds
1. Once the pastry is baked you don't need anything else to go into the oven, so make it/roll it out and put it in your dish and bake it until it's golden brown. You might need to bake it blind for 10 minutes or so, then finish it off to colour it.
2. Once your pastry is ready, put it aside and put the sugar into a pan with 1 1/2 cups of water over a medium high heat. While that's heating, chop your rhubarb into thumb sized chunks.
3. Add them to the sugar water when it's started bubbling.
4. Keep an eye on it! It will quickly go from firm and stringy to soft and tender! When it starts to flake apart when you nudge it, start scooping it out with a slotted spoon and put it into a sieve, over a bowl.
5. Quite a lot of fluid will come out, but look how tender those pieces are. They completely melt in your mouth.
6. Pour the extra back into the pan and keep the heat quite high so that the remaining fluid reduces by about two thirds. It'll make the sweetest little sauce.
7. While your rhubarb is cooling, spread the ground almonds out onto the base with your fingers, they do a good job of absorbing any residual liquid from the rhubarb so that the pastry doesn't get too soggy.
8. Use a spoon and carefully place the rhubarb all over the pastry base. (Keep an eye on your sauce!)
9. So yummy! Your sauce should have thickened up a bit by now and be pretty low down in the pan. Pour it into a container to cool down. Check out the amazing colour!
10. Now you don't even have to toast the almonds, you could just throw them straight on, but I like the flavour, so if you do too, just stick some foil on a baking sheet, throw the almonds on and sprinkle with a little sugar. Put them into the oven for a couple of minutes on a medium high heat. I'm serious, check them once a minute, they burn so easily! Then take them out, let them cool a little, then scatter over the rhubarb.
Contact The Gluttonous Vegan
Sources : Poached Rhubarb Pie Photo | Poached Rhubarb Pie Article